Tag Archives: Lyza Chthonia

Purple Batik Costume – Week 5

Purple Batik BraThis week I made the bra and arm cuffs. The bra was a little difficult as it was necessary to stitch pieces of patterned fabric together to look as if it was one continuous piece. The trim over the section where the neckties are attached also had to have a piece of fabric appliquéd over the top so that it gave a nice finish to the edge.

The back of the bra was finished with some elastic encased in lycra with a bra hook and eye closure for a secure closing. The neck ties were also made in a lycra so there is a little give around the neck for comfort.

 

Lampeter World Dance Festival

Lampeter World Dance Festival

Last weekend was the Lampeter World Dance Festival, there was free taster sessions for Flamenco, Tribal dance and Belly dance with a show on the Friday night.

The friday night had a wonderful atmosphere with lots of local dancers from around Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire performing. Zara came all the way from London to perform three dancers and brought her souk.

I performed a solo in my Gothic Lolita costume to Animus Vox by The Glitch Mob, it went very well appart from my bindi falling off at the beginning! I also had the opportunity to be part of Lyza Chthonia’s improvised Black Sheep Tribal group. Where we performed a slow and fast movements piece.

Tribal Fusion Costume Week 6 – Belt Trims & Adornments

My last post covered applying the trims to the bra. In this post I’ll take you through how I put together the belt.

We’ve already made the pattern for the belt and cut out the fabric ready. A sturdy base for the belt was made using interfacing, and the outer fabric was then stitched to it, this ensured that the belt doesn’t twist and sag under the weight of the kuchi coins.

I worked layer by layer using the same techniques as for the bra trims after which I began work on the metal coins and gathered silk flowers.

The last thing to apply before the lining was the velvet scoops around the hips. The pattern  was made by draping the fabric and pinning in pleats to create the scoop. This was a process of trial and error until I had a shape I was happy with. Then the fabric was carefully unpinned marking all pleats and curves onto pattern paper.
Tribal Fusion belt

I cut and lined each scoop stitching curved lines across each section to ensure it didn’t stretch too much. The pleats were added to the belt. At the front the belt needed a way of closing it securely to the body. It was decided that ‘D’ rings and ribbon were the best option for this as it allowed for a give in size as apposed to hook and eyes which are fixed.

The rings are positioned under the gathered flowers and are only just visible. The lining is cut using the same pattern as for the belt and stitched to the back. The belt and bra are now all finished.