It was great to get the chance to share my thoughts on my craft along with ideas of where I’d like to take my shop in the future. Hope you enjoy reading it.
For the Summer Sapphire Bellydance Charity show coming up in the new few weeks I have decided on my song and in the process of working out a choreography. This is my new costume which will go with it.
The track is an mix of Build that Wall and Terminal March from the soundtrack of Bastion by Darren Korb. To go with this I’ve chosen to make a belly dance costume based on the character of Zia.
I decided a nice way of doing this would be to outline a few of the paisleys with twisted bugle beads.
The main part of the fabric is paisley patterned, and all the edges are finished with a scallop border with flowers. At the one end is a wide welt of triangular patterning.
I starting by looking at the fabric and trying to visualize which pieces of the pattern would look nice where.
Then the designing stage!
The two designs are quite similar appart from the under skirt and the pattern placement on the bra. In one I have used the paisley section for the main part and edged both centres with the scallop and flowers
On the other I have used the triangular pattern for the main section and positioned the diamonds just above the bust line.
Different aspects of both designs are going to be used on the final costume. The under skirt will be made of a lovely netty gold fabric, the bra will have the triangular patterning, and the belt instead of having the scallop at the top will have it lining the bottom edge framing the point. The hanging ties will have the paisley patterning and will be edged with the scallop edging as well.
Next thing is to make the pattern pieces and pin them out on the fabric.
I’ve finally finished all the beading on the neckline. It was a lot of work but I think it was worth it, the finished piece is really effective.
Next was to attach the neckline to the dress. I started by pinning the neckline to the dress while on a dress former to make sure it was stretched slightly.
Turning under the edge all the way round the neckline, pinning as I went.
Then I slip stitched all around the inner edge, making sure that the fabric was smooth and turned under enough not to be seen from the outside.
In the centre front I stitched two lots of bugle beads between the two sides to maintain a certain spacing while still being open.
With the dress back on the former I pinned the outside edge of the neckline and again invisibly hand stitched under the edge.
The last finishing touches are to stitch the arm holes, hem and side seams.
Last weekend I made my way to Wonderwool Wales on the Royal Welsh show grounds in Builth Wells for a day of yarny goodness!
This was the third Wonderwool I had been too, and as usual it was full of varying stalls selling items from fleece to finished products. Armed with a short list of things I would like, I made my way round, once to look and at least once to buy!
I found some beautiful chinese tribal batik’s and embroidery at Slow Loris Textiles. Martin Conlan the stall owner told us a lot about the origins of the textiles and how they were meticulously created.
I spent most of the day trying to avoid being tempted by fleece and other such fibers. I was very aware that I still have about 8kgs of fleece in the utility which needs using first. But I did get a small amount of raw pink silk (as I needed it) to finish off a dress that is far from being finished.
As usual I had a wonderful time and came home excited for next years Wonderwool!
Here are my performances from Friday 19th April at the World Dance Festival in Lampeter. The first is my Gothic Lolita Solo to Animus Vox by The Glitch Mob and the other is in Lyza Chthonia’s Black Sheep group.
I have a Black Sheep Tribal Belly dance performance coming up and I realised that I didn’t have a nice full skirt to wear, so I decided that I’d have to make one and may as well do a complete costume while I was at it.
I’d heard a lot about 25 meter skirts and was intrigued to see what all the fuss was about. I assumed from the name it would have 25 meters worth of fabric, but with a little research it seems to be a 25 meter hem circumference making a very full skirt!
As this was my first skirt of this sort I had the idea of making a 10 meter one. Im quite short and thought I’d see what sort of effect this gave me as I was a little worried that 25 mtrs could swamp me.
I chose some pretty batik fabrics which I’d hem each tier with a black contrast band. I worked out all my measurements for meterage in each tier and used the Golden Ratio to have a natural looking ratio between each of the tier depths.
There was a lot of gathering and overlocking in this skirt!
The overall effect of the skirt is wonderful it has a lot of movement as the cotton is quite light in weight. The busyness of the fabric also adds to the movement and vibrance of the skirt.
Now onto the bra, falls and maybe a belt too!