This week I made the bra and arm cuffs. The bra was a little difficult as it was necessary to stitch pieces of patterned fabric together to look as if it was one continuous piece. The trim over the section where the neckties are attached also had to have a piece of fabric appliquéd over the top so that it gave a nice finish to the edge.
The back of the bra was finished with some elastic encased in lycra with a bra hook and eye closure for a secure closing. The neck ties were also made in a lycra so there is a little give around the neck for comfort.
Begun the beading this week, and have just realised how long this is actually likely to take!
I started with the gold edging and then went on to a bit of the blue bugles and sequins. It seems to keep up the momentum and enthusiasm if I change section every so often – but I am really enjoying it.
I think I’ll outline the scallop sections next so that it will give me an idea of how the shapes will look once there filled in.
I surprisingly found the perfect fabric quite quickly, a 2 way stretch velvet in a beautiful dark royal blue. The main dress was easy to constuct as it only needed at little shaping and it stretches to fit.
The neckline where the beading is to go was a little more difficult as the shape was made out of paper to start with and then the fabric cut out and stiffened to made sure it doesn’t shift with the weight of the bead work.
Once the beading is complete I’ll pin the neckline to the dress and cut away the excess fabric around the neck.
Getting onto the beading now! I think this will be a mammoth job.