The costume is all finished now with the belt, underskirt, bra, armbands and beaded chain. This was a really fun costume to create and the material was beautiful to work with. I can’t wait to see it on stage!
This week I made the bra and arm cuffs. The bra was a little difficult as it was necessary to stitch pieces of patterned fabric together to look as if it was one continuous piece. The trim over the section where the neckties are attached also had to have a piece of fabric appliquéd over the top so that it gave a nice finish to the edge.
The back of the bra was finished with some elastic encased in lycra with a bra hook and eye closure for a secure closing. The neck ties were also made in a lycra so there is a little give around the neck for comfort.
I decided a nice way of doing this would be to outline a few of the paisleys with twisted bugle beads.
I started drafting and adapting patterns this week to create the design. I then used the patterns to make a prototype so that it could be tried on and any changes or adjustments in shaping and size could be made. Also this gave an idea of how the shapes worked on the body as well as visualising how the pattern could fall on the finished piece. After the fitting there was a few adjustments to the belt pattern pieces making the ties and triangle point longer. The patterning on the belt is also going to be different the scallop patterning will go down either edge of the point.
I photographed all the pattern pieces so that I could overlay then on the computer to see how the pattern could be placed. The scallop edge will need to be appliqued on top, to line both the edges, the ties would also have the scallop trim lining the bottom edge.
The main part of the fabric is paisley patterned, and all the edges are finished with a scallop border with flowers. At the one end is a wide welt of triangular patterning.
I starting by looking at the fabric and trying to visualize which pieces of the pattern would look nice where.
Then the designing stage!
The two designs are quite similar appart from the under skirt and the pattern placement on the bra. In one I have used the paisley section for the main part and edged both centres with the scallop and flowers
On the other I have used the triangular pattern for the main section and positioned the diamonds just above the bust line.
Different aspects of both designs are going to be used on the final costume. The under skirt will be made of a lovely netty gold fabric, the bra will have the triangular patterning, and the belt instead of having the scallop at the top will have it lining the bottom edge framing the point. The hanging ties will have the paisley patterning and will be edged with the scallop edging as well.
Next thing is to make the pattern pieces and pin them out on the fabric.