Category Archives: Costumes in Progress

The production of Endenisia costumes.

Autumn Corset

I used the material I made in the tutorial how to use “Water soluble material” to make an Autumn Corset.

I decided to use the embroidered material for the bust section, and the main fabric for the corset is a lovely rusty coloured taffeta edged in a plain brown cotton. The corset has boning to give it more shape, encased in orange ribbon.

Just the eyelets to put in now!

Purple Batik Costume – Week 5

Purple Batik BraThis week I made the bra and arm cuffs. The bra was a little difficult as it was necessary to stitch pieces of patterned fabric together to look as if it was one continuous piece. The trim over the section where the neckties are attached also had to have a piece of fabric appliquéd over the top so that it gave a nice finish to the edge.

The back of the bra was finished with some elastic encased in lycra with a bra hook and eye closure for a secure closing. The neck ties were also made in a lycra so there is a little give around the neck for comfort.

 

Zia Bastion Costume Part 2

last weekend was the Sapphire Summer Charity hafla in Llanfairfechan, North Wales. It was a great event with lots of talented dancers and a wonderful atmosphere. I danced in my new costume which was a dance version of Zia from Bastion.

Zia From Bastion

The costume was slightly different to make than most of my others as it didn’t have very much embellishments. This made the fabrics and colours used even more important as I wasn’t going to be layering other items on top.

Zia Bastion Costume Part 1

Zia Bastion
For the Summer Sapphire Bellydance Charity show coming up in the new few weeks I have decided on my song and in the process of working out a choreography. This is my new costume which will go with it.

The track is an mix of Build that Wall and Terminal March from the soundtrack of Bastion by Darren Korb. To go with this I’ve chosen to make a belly dance costume based on the character of Zia.

Zia Bastion Costume Design

Purple Batik Costume Week 3 Part 2

Gold Bugle Beads
The belt base is now finished but needs a little more glitz so that when on stage the light will reflect and give little sparkles here and there.

I decided a nice way of doing this would be to outline a few of the paisleys with twisted bugle beads.

Below is the layout of the paisleys I decided to outline, I didn’t want to do too many as I thought it would detract from the already lovely fabric.
Belt Beading

Purple Batik Costume – Week 3 Part 1

Belt Scallop This week I pinned all the pattern pieces in place and cut out the belt pieces. The scallop trim then needed to be stitched onto the outter edge.

I decided to go with an applique technique called needle turn applique, where you tuck under the edge with the needle and ‘invisibly’ stitch as close to the edge as possible. It took a while as it had to be done by hand but the finish is beautiful. Below is a video of how I did it.

Purple Batik Costume – Week 2

Pattern Drafting

Prototype Belt and Bra
I started drafting and adapting patterns this week to create the design. I then used the patterns to make a prototype so that it could be tried on and any changes or adjustments in shaping and size could be made. Also this gave an idea of how the shapes worked on the body as well as visualising how the pattern could fall on the finished piece. After the fitting there was a few adjustments to the belt pattern pieces making the ties and triangle point longer. The patterning on the belt is also going to be different the scallop patterning will go down either edge of the point.

Belt Pattern Piece Belt + Bra Pattern Piece

 

 

 

 

I photographed all the pattern pieces so that I could overlay then on the computer to see how the pattern could be placed. The scallop edge will need to be appliqued on top, to line both the edges, the ties would also have the scallop trim lining the bottom edge.

Final Pattern Pieces